For inquiries about
the Toronto Institute for
program please contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org
or mailing address:
1046 - 7 B Pleasant Boulevard
Toronto, ON M4T 1K2
918 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON M5R 3G5
For inquiries about the
The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy is a Recognized Education and Training Program
with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).
We are no longer accepting applications for the September 2017 class. The deadline for the September 2018 class will be March 31,2018.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the Application Form. Write a brief essay of at least 2-3 pages that describes your readiness for this program. Include relevant autobiographical information—significant life experiences that relate to your desire to become a psychotherapist. If you have at least 2 years of post secondary education but not an undergraduate degree please contact the Registrar regarding the submission of the two additional documents described on the right hand column of this web page.
- Include a current resume outlining your academic background and work experience.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have engaged in ongoing personal psychotherapy.
- Email or mail us your completed application materials dated or post-marked on or before the deadline (March 31).
We strongly recommend email.
- Mail us the $150 non-refundable application fee. Make cheques payable to TIRP.
- Download and send a Recommendation Form to two different colleagues (not your therapist or a family member) who are able to evaluate your readiness and aptitude for this program. Have them email or mail the completed reference forms directly to TIRP, dated or post-marked on or before the deadline (April 15).
We will confirm receipt of your application by email when we receive it. If you do not hear from us within a reasonable time, contact us at email@example.com
Once we have had time to review all applications, we will contact you about whether or not you have been selected to participate in a group interview with TIRP faculty and other applicants.
If you have any questions about the application process, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Email all material to:
Send all material to:
Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy
1046 - 7 B Pleasant Boulevard
Toronto, ON M4T 1K2
The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy invites applications from professionals who have experience and current responsibilities in areas such as social work, pastoral counselling, crisis intervention, addictions counselling, marriage and family therapy, and other therapy modalities. Persons exploring career change and retraining are also encouraged to apply.
If you are applying to TIRP and have at least 2 years of post-secondary education but not an undergraduate degree, TIRP requires that you submit two additional documents. The first document outlines your learning experiences and the second is a short paper written in response to a provided reading. These additional documents will help us to establish an equivalent level of learning and competence. Contact the Registrar for more information.
In recognition of the requirements the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, TIRP asks applicants to submit a Bachelor's level of post-secondary education or to participate in a Prior Learning Assessment process to establish an equivalent level of academic competence.
$4600 tuition + 25 prepaid supervision sessions ($120x25 =$3000) = $7,600 in total for each year
The remaining 50 required hours will be paid per session at $120 ($6000) payable to TIRP through the TIRP faculty supervisor. These fees must be paid once any pre-paid fees (25 sessions included in Phase 2&3 tuition) have been used at the end of any given year.
Fees for the total amounts for tuition and supervision are paid in installments by post-dated cheques submitted on or before the first session in September.
Fee structure is reviewed annually, and may be subject to change.
- Students in Phases 1-3 will pay for the room and board cost of two weekend retreats per year (range of $300 - $350 per weekend). Allow for additional expenses such as books/photocopied articles.
- Students are required to be in weekly personal psychotherapy throughout the program. Costs vary according to therapist.
- Membership in a professional organization and professional liability insurance are required by the beginning of second year.
- Three to four mandatory workshops (see Curriculum page) each year which cost on average $200/workshop.
The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy is recognized as an educational organization by the Ministry of Employment and Social Development in Ottawa. Fees are tax deductible as an educational expense.
To complete the TIRP training program,
a student will have successfully completed:
- 360 hours of successful participation in Phases 1-3 including mandatory workshops and residential weekends
- 100 hours of supervision
- 120 hours of personal psychotherapy, during TIRP phases 1-3, weekly personal psychotherapy is required. We also require that you work with a relational psychotherapist before entering phase 2
- 350 client hours (for those registered in the 2013-14 class and henceforth).
© Toronto Institute for Relational Therapy 2007-2016. All rights reserved.